Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Coming of Age


In every kid’s life, there are coming of age rituals. Things like; first steps, first word, and the first time using the potty. Also, moving to the bed from a crib. In like manner, there are rituals every transgender woman must go through.

Recently, Jennifer Lopezgomez asked this question on Facebook: Girls, what is the biggest event of your transitioning to this point?

Her list includes: 

*Starting medical HRT?
*Going full time living as a woman in real life?
*Getting your very own vagina?
*Realizing with 100% certainty that you are female and therefore MUST transition no matter what the cost?
*Getting medically recognized as female?
*Getting legally recognized as female such as on your driver's license, ID card, birth certificate, or passport?
*Coming out to family? Coming out to friends? Coming out at work?

For her, the most important was going full time as a woman. For me, I can’t wait.

1 comment:

  1. *
    What is taking so long?

    I ask that in all honesty?

    Find a friend for support and go for it - whatever is your next step. The fear is not there.

    BTW: I lived at WVC - near Decker Lake - from 1980 to 1985 - when I did my transitioning. I know the haunts.

    Here's what I call 'passing the passing test'.

    I was transitioning - ending my life as male part-time while beginning my life as female part-time.

    I still worked at my job as male - but not for long. My employer was retaliating against me and in the process of firing me - they thought I was F-M: 'We can't have you working here like that'.

    Meanwhile, I was gradually moving my life to female in small steps - going to the Post Office to buy stamps at the inside vending machine, getting gasoline at the filling station..

    I had an exploratory procedure at UMC (November 1982 - same time as Barney Clark's heart transplant). I was an independent med school student doing research at the Medical School Library and attending CME classes at UMC. They knew me as male for all those events. I went to UMC during evening quiet times as female and 'wandered' the halls - as female; no one recognised me. Another 'passing the passing test'.

    I was a member of two civics groups that picketed at Temple Square every semi-annual meeting. The guards knew me personally. I attended a Christmas event (1984) - the guard who knew me from picketing as a male did not recognise me as a female that Christmas-time evening. I 'passed' my test.

    There were times when I presented myself as male but others perceived me as female. Why not? I was attired in uni-sex female clothes, I had no facial hair or body hair on my arms, my voice was female, my hair was feminine (no male hairline). Another 'pass'.

    Let me know how you do and if I can provide positive encouragement to make your move. My web-site (in progress): 'SlimandMe.WordPress.com'.
    *

    ReplyDelete