Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Writing Blogs and Books


This post might piss some of you off, but it must be said. Keep in mind I’m not a perfect writer, either.


There’s a trend in the trans community that I applaud, but it bothers me, too. I know it’s not actually the case, but it seems that the whole world wants to write a book about their transgender life. I'm sure that many of them have wonderful stories to tell, but . . .

Some of those same people are bloggers and they post their complaints about the whole Caitlyn Jenner thing. The opinions vary, but the theme is generally the same. They talk about how Caitlyn never had to struggle, like they have. They mention the carnival like, atmosphere surrounding her very public coming out party.

Basically, Jenner is capitalizing on the same feelings we all had as children. Gender dysphoria runs deep in my generation. Anyway, isn’t everybody who writes a book, also capitalizing on that dysphoria?

It’s true. Exposure is good, but if that exposure draws more negative attention . . . Well, that’s another matter. As many of you know, because I’ve posted about it here, in my masculine life, I’ve been a writer of fiction. By all means I’m not an expert in the English language, neither am I extremely successful in that endeavor. I do, however, know when somebody writes poorly.

When the self-pub/Ebook craze hit, I cringed for many reasons. The authors immediately began pricing themselves out the market, and I knew there would be a landslide of books available that normally would never be published.

I’ve read many of the Trans biographies and as I suspected, most of them would benefit from the services of an editor. Now before you take offense, remember, I never mentioned any of the books by name, and you should know, I am probably in more need of an editor than anybody.

Perhaps you will see what I mean if you read through the posts on this blog. As a writer of novels, however, I wouldn’t dare publish a book without an editor. I don’t know why so many trans women want to write their biographies, but please be careful. Do the best job you can. There will be many who read your book to mock it, don’t make it easier for them.

With that being said, I love you, sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment