Sunday, February 15, 2015

Good Morning, Ladies, and Happy Valentine’s DAY


“Oh crap . . . Why did you wake me?” you moan.

I know, next to Christmas, Valentine’s Day is one of the worst holidays. No matter what your sexual preference, it can be lonely for us. Christmas is hard, because choosing to stop the pain, and live authentically, often, alienates our families. It helps to know, however, It’s because of their, not our, choices.

Valentine’s Day holds some of the same horrors. The memorial day to a Catholic Priest who lived hundreds of years ago, is set aside for the expression of traditional relationships. Many transgender women have nasty divorces and separations to remember on that day. Why couldn’t you be happy living as a man? The words float in our brains telling us how selfish we are to seek our happiness and save our lives.

Beyond the regret of other people’s choices, we see others holding hands, embracing treasured moments and expressions of love. It’s a celebration of the life we never, quite fit into.

As another February ritual approaches, and fades into time, we are reminded of our loneliness. The depth of which can only be expressed in the years we’ve lived, since that first moment when we became aware of our Transgender condition.

We need not succumb, though. Sisters, we are blessed with a sense of style. We can turn the holiday on its ear. Have you ever noticed how many pink outfits are sold for Valentine’s Day? Regardless of your favorite color, you can wear pink. Nobody will concern themselves with whether you are or are not.

It’s like wearing a Santa Clause hat at Christmas. Valentine’s day is pink. What better feminine expression can there be, than that color?

Okay, so you don’t like pink, it doesn’t matter because I propose we seize the day. Let’s take the holiday in hand and make it Transgender Day. I’m serious, ladies. Celebrate the love you hold in your heart for your peers. I have many friends on Facebook, and I’m sometimes, overwhelmed by the expressions of support for each other.

Sisters I love you. If I could, I would send each of you a heart shaped valentine. I would express my support in meaningful ways to help you realize your worth to me, and to God. We have struggled, we will struggle, but we will endure.

Personally I’m scared to death. The future is uncertain, my transition is in jeopardy, but I’ve been embraced by the examples of faith you all set. Please accept this meager expression of my love for each of you.

Lets turn February 14, 2016 into a transgender holiday. Who cares about sexual preference? It will be the day when we all celebrate our community. My respects to LGBT and pride day, but we, the “T” part of that, need a day to celebrate, ourselves.

Ladies, Sisters, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment