Thursday, March 13, 2014

I Yam What I Yam



I’m not the prettiest transgender woman you’ll see. Not even close—in fact, a mud fence comes to mind. When I see pictures of successful transitions I feel encouraged. When I see the before and after pictures, I sometimes cry. A lot of the prettiest were pretty, before they started HRT.
Where does that leave me? Well, as Popeye the Sailor was fond of saying: I Yam What I Yam.

As you know, (Or you should know, by now,) transgender is a state of mind. I have an irresistible need to be a woman. It would be wonderful to be pretty, when I’m done with transition, but I’ll settle for being feminine.

I was pretty once, back when it would’ve mattered. Now, my male body has gone down more roads than it wants to remember. As I said in a recent post, I’m an old broad, but thoughts of finally living the life, keep me going.

I mentioned seeing Trans America recently. Yes it would’ve been nice to see a real transgender woman in the leading role, but I cried during that scene when she is taking a bath. She touches herself and realizes her dream. It had finally come true. She was a real woman. I look forward to that day with great anticipation.

Recently, I read an article about one man’s opinion. Essentially, the article read,

Dr. Joseph Berger has issued a statement saying, from a medical and scientific perspective there is no such thing as a "transgendered" person, and that terms such as "gender expression" and "gender identity" are at the very least ambiguous, and are more an emotional appeal than a statement of scientific fact.

Berger, who is a consulting psychiatrist in Toronto and whose list of credentials establishes him as an expert in the field of mental illness, stated that people who identify themselves as "transgendered" are mentally ill or simply unhappy, and pointed out that hormone therapy and surgery are not appropriate treatments for psychosis or unhappiness.

First of all, I wonder where the writer learned his craft. Try to diagram those sentences. I think there are only two periods in the whole thing. Second, did you notice the insult delivered by using incorrect terminology?

Anyway, to DR. Berger, I would say, of course I’m crazy, but who isn’t? According to the parameters of your profession, everybody is neurotic, anyway.

The doctor thinks I am just unhappy . . . hmm—no kidding? HRT and SRS won’t make me happy? I would ask, what is his definition of happiness? How does one achieve that magical state of being? Doesn’t it come from within? If a person can’t find happiness in the guidelines of the Doctor’s version of normal, does he prescribe mood-altering drugs?

When a midlife crisis drives a man to purchase a Harley what would be the prognosis? When a woman retreats, at the end of a long day, to the comfort of a bubble bath, should we lock her up? Isn’t she escaping? Many of those in the Doctor’s profession must have alcohol at the end of the day. "Only to relax and wind down". Isn’t that substance abuse?

As I understand the article, Dr. Berger made his recommendations as a result of legislation being presented in Canada. The bill in question would provide for the protection of transgender people. In other words, those people who find happiness in their own way, drawing it from inside themselves, would like to be left alone. They fear for their lives.

Whatever your beliefs, everybody deserves to be free to find happiness in their own way, as long as it doesn’t infringe on others. If we suddenly ostracized every social drinker, we would alienate more than half the population, yet I don’t want my kids around somebody who is drunk.

Let people find happiness in their own way. Stop trying to legislate personal beliefs. If somebody wants to be a different gender, how does it hurt you? I yam, what I yam, and my choices are my own.

Of course transgender is a state of mind. For many, it started in the crib, but feelings are a personal thing. SRS won’t make me happy, my happiness comes from within. Expressing feelings also comes from within. Those feelings aren’t right or wrong, but they might be different than others. Diversity, is what makes us unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment