Sunday, May 3, 2015

Backpeddling


A few weeks ago, I posted a blog titled, It Ain’t About the Clothes. In that post, I wrote that the gender for which clothes were made doesn’t really matter to me. I went on to insinuate my feminine expression allows for frumpy. I tried to say my clothes aren’t that important. Lately, however, I discovered something.

Yes, foundation garments, shoes, and accessories are important for me to feel like a girl, but the other clothes are not. Androgy
nous is my style sometimes, but I prefer to say, I’m old and I’m frumpy and that’s what you get. Anyway . . .  


I caught myself planning what I will wear to a personal coming out event. The success of that milestone in my life will depend on how I am perceived as a woman. Whatever outfit I wear has everything to do with that.

While lying in bed, running my wardrobe through my head, I realized, like all genetic women, I’ve always done that. If I have someplace to be, I plan which clothes to wear to match the occasion.

While playing the part of a man, I took pleasure in watching genetics drive themselves crazy. They couldn’t make up their minds what to wear. Now, in transition, I find I’m in the same fix. For everyday outfits, I wear what’s convenient. When it’s important, I want to look fabulous.

For my coming out, I need to go shopping. No, maybe I can wear . . . Oh crap! It’s going to be bad weather. That changes the whole game.

I’m not really back-peddling my post from before. I admit that clothes sometimes DO matter. But the gender my clothes were made for doesn’t always. For some crossdessers, the thrill of presentation is the whole point. For me, though, being the woman I always wanted to be, is what I’m striving for. Dressing with feminine expression is one thing, but healing my soul is vital.

After GRS, I might think differently, but everyday clothes and makeup, aren’t that important to me right now. Still, I wish I were the kind of girl who looked pretty in a summer dress. I do indulge in shorts and tee shirts, but the tank top I want to wear, accentuates my male shoulders, so I will forbear. 

2 comments:

  1. Loss of privilege they call it... Lots of new requirements to be successful aren't there? Finding our style will take time. I just hope our budget can stand the strain!
    xx Halle

    ReplyDelete
  2. *
    I date back to the 1970s when I started. I had my surgeries during 1982 and 1983 but still lived partial until 1985.

    I selected one of my best dresses when I first presented myself to my dad. That was 1985 and I was 29 years old. He had a difficult time but I knew that he had to see me as femininely as possible.

    Otherwise, I'm with you. I wear whatever I feel comfortable wearing.
    *

    ReplyDelete