Sunday, May 31, 2015

Hopes & Understanding at the Pride Festival



I’ve been trying to get there in two different cities for years now. I’m crossing my fingers and toes this year, but it seems that something always works against me, and things come up.

Something is different this year though. I have a stronger reason to go. In previous years, attending the event appealed to me because I am Trans and it would be an opportunity to meet other members of the butterfly club.

Did you catch that? I just coined a new phrase. At least it’s new to me. I’ve talked about butterflies before and how they are the perfect representation of the feelings of transgender people. By virtue of gender dysphoria, we are all members of the same club. I just called us the butterfly club.

Anyway, back to pride . . .

As a boy, I built my life with blinders on. I didn’t allow for any other possibilities, because I was squelching my feminine self. So, when gay rights began, I mostly ignored the battle cry of inclusion.

When I finally got my head on straight and accepted transition, I didn’t subscribe to the whole LGBTQ thing. I wasn’t gay and my activism was confined to other political issues. I accepted the umbrella thing, I never heard much about the ‘T’ in the acronym. I was part of the community, but I’m not sure I felt welcomed, and I never made it to pride either.

One of the problems of being transgender, is the loneliness. Many of us spent our lives convinced there was something wrong with us, therefore, solitary expression was the only way. I need transgender friends, people who understand my feelings. Going to pride holds the promise of making those acquaintances. I have to go this year, but that’s still, not, the stronger reason.

Isn’t it interesting how focused our lives can be? Those blinders, I wore, helped me ignore much. I’m no better or worse than anyone, just self absorbed. Recently, I listened to associates talk about religious freedom. When I mentioned the Jim Crow laws of the past, they actually told me that they feel persecuted. To put it my words, they feel threatened by those who they would put in chains.

Ignoring history to repeat it, was nothing new. I’ve been fighting right wing politicians for years. Then, thanks to the recent atrocities committed in the name of religion, my activist mind has reawakened. Oh how I wish the bigots could see they are NOT doing God’s work.

In another conversation that I chose to delete on Facebook, those zealots reposted a link to an article about a lesbian couple who chose to put their son on testosterone blockers, because he is transgender and they wanted him to wait until he got older to make the decision.

As you might’ve guessed, the zealots felt it was child abuse. One of them actually said that boy has no chance. My God, are they that blind? I wondered how they would feel about it, if like me, that boy had been born in a religious family with two heterosexual parents (Male and Female).

I see a wonderful kid with the same gender dysphoria I have. What a blessing that her parents are aware. She will have all the blessings I never could’ve had. Those same zealots haven’t accounted for the boy’s ability to choose for herself.  

So this year, I have a stronger reason to attend. Whether I feel included under the umbrella or not, I cannot remain on the sidelines. I still believe, as I once did that people have no right to push their beliefs and lifestyles onto others. That includes the religious right.

For me, the gates are open. I’m a neophyte, but I am part of LGBTQ. I am a woman—I am trans. I’m going to wear my white capris so it better be warm. I’m going to volunteer to help educate the public. I’m going to have fun and maybe, just maybe, I will meet my tribe.      

No comments:

Post a Comment